Apply early to increase the chance of being accepted! Apply now. But before applying, please read through the important info below.
4-11th August 2019
Sv. Jan pod Skalou, Czech Republic (30 minutes by bus from Prague).
St. John’s College, a former Benedictine monastery that now houses a teaching college. The bedrooms and classes have been recently renovated, and the college also includes spacious grounds that can be used for sport activities.
The participation fee includes breakfast, lunch and dinner. There will be a vegetarian option, and we will also accommodate special dietary requirements.
Who can apply
Discover is open to high-school students from any country who are expecting to graduate from high school (and therefore be eligible to enter university) in any year between 2019 and 2022.
It is important that your English skills allow you to actively participate in courses, workshops and other activities. English skills equivalent to B2 (e.g. FCE) or above are appropriate (no certificates required). In other words, if you are able to watch TED talks without subtitles and then discuss them with your friends in English, you will be fine.
Discover Summer Academy is a fully non-profit organization and all team members at all levels are volunteers. But even so, there are necessary costs. Apart from your room and board for the week, we need to pay for advertisement and organizational costs, including preparation and travel for team members. There are no salaries paid out to team members. When we divided these costs by the expected number of participants, we got to the sum of 230€. So you can choose from three options:
- I WANT TO CONTRIBUTE FULLY AND I AM ABLE TO DO SO (230€) – covers your room and board and all other costs associated with the smooth running of the week. Nothing more, nothing less.
- I WOULD LIKE TO CONTRIBUTE FULLY, BUT I CAN’T AFFORD IT (170€ or less) – We want Discover to be as diverse as possible and we believe that access to education should not be determined by the size of your family’s wallet. In the essay part of the application, please describe your circumstances in an open manner, and we will do our best to support you. Everything you write will remain completely confidential, and we will only ask for extra documents if we really need them. Dozens of students come to Discover every year on a scholarship, and you could be one of them!
- I CAN CONTRIBUTE MORE IF IT HELPS (250 € or more). You can push Discover further and higher and help us to build the things we dream up. Any extra contribution will be used primarily for the scholarship fund to make Discover more diverse and for improving the quality of Discover throughout the whole year. Every year we strive to improve something and you can be a part of that.
We understand that people in different countries, and different people within each country, have very different ability to pay the participation fee. We, therefore, expect to offer partial scholarships to up to 80% of participants. You can apply for the scholarship in your application based on the financial circumstances in your family. Applying for a scholarship will not in any way influence your overall chance of being admitted.
How to apply
Apply by filling in the application accessed through the link in the menu. The applications will close when the capacity of the international session is filled. Applications submitted in each month will be evaluated together, and we will inform you around the 15th day of the following month (if you submit your application by 28th February, you will hear from us around 15th March) whether you have been admitted, you have been placed on a waiting list or your application has not been successful. Unsuccessful candidates candidates will be given the chance to revise their essays and reapply in the next application round.
Use the form in the link below to apply. Focus mainly on the application questions.
The first question is an essay prompt. The length of the essay should be 150 to 300 words.
You can answer the second question by sending us a video, a poem, or anything else you want. Your answer format doesn’t have anything to do with the success of your application – just choose the form of expression you prefer. If you decide to write an essay, the word limit is 200 words.
Our goal is to find out how you think and how you present your opinions. We would like to get to know you better based on your answers.
Different answer formats
If you are sending us a different answer format than an essay, put a link into the LoginPortal (YouTube, Google Drive, OneDrive…).
- Why do you think spending a week of your summer at Discover is a good idea?
- What do you think about this picture?
We want to emphasize that there are no correct answers to these questions and the process is more important than the result.
The number of attendees is limited and we want to choose applicants, who can benefit from the summer academy and who can contribute to its success.
Apply early to increase the chance of being accepted! Apply now.
We have five deadlines this year:
- For Early Birds: 14 January to 31 January 2019 (you will receive your acceptance decision by 15 February)
- For Strategists: 1 February to 28 February 2019 (you will receive your acceptance decision by 15 March)
- For Ms./ Mr. Chill: 1 March to 31 March 2019 (you will receive your acceptance decision by 15 April)
- For Procrastinators: 1 April to 30 April 2019 (you will receive your acceptance decision by 15 May)
- For Latecomers: 1 May to 31 May 2019 (you will receive your acceptance decision by 15 June)